What is the Master Gardener Volunteer (MGV) Training Program?
The UW-Extension Master Gardener Program provides horticultural training to adults who, in turn, volunteer with horticulture-related projects that benefit their local community in support of the County Extension office programming. There is an expectation that MGVs will stay with the program three years, volunteering a minimum of 24 hours per year and completing 10 hours of continuing education. Visit the Wisconsin Master Gardener Volunteer website for more information and horticulture resources: http://wimastergardener.org/.
How Do I become a Certified Master Gardener Volunteer?
- Attend a Master Gardener Volunteer interview session for acceptance into the program.
- Sign the UWEX Master Volunteer Agreement and consent to the state background check
- Attend the 19 session Master Gardener Volunteer course which runs from late Feb to the end of August. Classes are held Wednesday mornings with some exceptions (holidays, etc).
Pass the open-book take-home exam with a score of 70% or better
- Perform the 24 hours of volunteer service by the end of the six-month course. 12 hours of the 24 total are due by June 30 in order to finish taking the classes.
- 8 hours of the 24 are to be done at the Dane County UWEX Teaching Garden (workdays as a group are on Saturdays or on your own on weekdays) 2017 Scheduled Teaching Garden Workdays
- 4 hours of the 24 at an assigned school garden
- 4 hours of the 24 at an assigned community garden
- 3 hours of the 24 at an assigned farmers market (These are on weekends; 3 hours is one shift. There are several markets to choose from.)
- 5 hours at a location of your choice from our approved locations handout.
- Attend one Madison Area Master Gardeners (MAMGA) educational session, social event or garden tour during the course.
- Click here for the 2017 Scheduled Teaching Garden Workdays.
How Do I Keep My Certification Annually?
- Each year, perform 24 hours of volunteer service (volunteer hours time sheets due the October 1) after the initial year.
- Complete 10 hours of continuing education due the same date.
- Volunteer for core projects including:
- Additional volunteer hours can be completed programs such as Farm Technology Days, Garden Expo, UW Arboretum, Dane County UW-Extension, Olbrich Gardens, or other Volunteer Opportunities. Please make connections and seek out community organizations to support through volunteering.
To retain your entries as you send your sheet as an attachment to an email, try this.
MGV Associations Memberships:
- Pay $25 annual dues to MAMGA (the Madison Area Master Gardeners Association)
- Pay $5 annual dues to WIMGA (the Wisconsin Master Gardener Association)