2015 Spring Plant Sale
11 am to 3 pm
Dane County/UW Extension Office Parking Lot
5201 Fen Oak Drive, Madison
Come celebrate the beginning of a new gardening season with us! Find plants that Master Gardeners have started from seed or carefully dug from their gardens. We offer hundreds of perennials for shade or sun, vegetable & herb starts, native plants, garden art and more! Master Gardeners will be available to answer your gardening questions and provide information on plant care. Proceeds will go to supporting the Teaching Gardens and help purchase seeds & supplies for gardening programs in the community. Cash or check only.
What is the Master Gardener Volunteer (MGV) Training Program?
The UW-Extension Master Gardener Program provides horticultural training to adults who, in turn, volunteer with horticulture-related projects that benefit their local community in support of the County Extension office programming. There is an expectation that MGVs will stay with the program 2-3 years, volunteering a minimum of 24 hours per year and completing 10 hours of continuing education.
How Do I become a Certified Master Gardener Volunteer?
- Attend a Master Gardener Volunteer interview session for acceptance into the program.
- Sign the UWEX Master Volunteer Agreement and consent to the state background check
- Attend the 16 session Master Gardener Volunteer course which runs from late Feb to the end of August. Classes are held approximately every other Wednesday morning.
Pass the open-book take-home exam with a score of 70% or better
- Perform the 24 hours of volunteer service by the end of the six-month course. 12 hours of the 24 total are due by June 30 in order to finish taking the classes.
- 8 hours of the 24 are to be done at the Dane County UWEX Teaching Garden (workdays as a group are on Saturdays or on your own on weekedays)
- 4 hours of the 24 at an assigned school garden
- 4 hours of the 24 at an assigned community garden
- 3 hours of the 24 at an assigned farmers market (These are on weekends; 3 hours is one shift. There are several markets to choose from.)
- 5 hours at a location of your choice from our approved locations handout.
- Attend one Madison Area Master Gardeners (MAMGA) educational session, social event or garden tour during the course
How Do I Keep My Certification Annually?
- Each year, perform 24 hours of volunteer service (volunteer hours timesheets due the 1st of October) after the initial year.
- Complete 10 hours of continuing education due the same date.
- Volunteer for core projects including:
- School Gardens
- Farmer’s Markets
- Community Gardens
- UW-Extension Teaching Garden
- Additional volunteer hours can be completed programs such as Farm Technology Days, Garden Expo, UW Arboretum, Dane County UW-Extension, Olbrich Gardens, or other approved programs.
(Apple users, if you have problems, read this: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2506)
MGV Associations Memberships:
- Pay $20 annual dues to MAMGA (the Madison Area Master Gardeners Association)
- Pay $5 annual dues to WIMGA (the Wisconsin Master Gardener Association)